Friday, February 10, 2012

The Digital Revolution Zealots Are Just Plain Annoying

Ways to Alienate Your Teenage Son
After watching the two Frontline documentaries yesterday I came to the conclusion that two things are happening simultaneously regarding the digital revolution that is taking place inside and outside of the classroom.
1. There are a bunch of crazy people complaining about a completely unstoppable force called the internet.
2. People's concer with other people's well-being (basically sticking their noses where they don't belong) is stopping natural selection.

For me the internet has never created a problem, nor has it ever gotten close to becoming an addiction. I have an IPhone, home PC, laptop, Kindle, IPod Touch, IPod Nano, 2 Tv's with HDMI hook-ups, 6 GPS devices, a digital camera, and a TI-83 calculator. Never have I felt like these have casued harm in my life. They are all just tools that I use to communicate, be entertained, find my way, and play Mario (thanks TI-83).

Some people it seems play video games too much and forget to eat. Not really my problem. If it was my kid it wouldn't have happened in the first place. I say let the person get really hungry and then they will probably put the controller down and go eat some Doritos. I'm not really for telling someone else how to live their life. It should be a given that sitting in front of a screen all day is probably not the best thing for you. But if it makes you happy and you feel fulfilled then its cool with me, I don't want to stop anyone from being happy.

We are constantly trying to look out for other people, but it is in a very selfish way. Take the whole suicide thing. Yeah it sucks, but the whole reason for being against it is selfish. You don't want someone you love to kill themself because it will cause YOU pain, regardless of the amount of pain they are in. I'm not saying it isn't sad/bad/horrible, I'm just telling the truth.

If you do some research to find out if technology is good or bad print it up and then let people decide for themself. And if they want to smoke two packs a day that is there choice. I'll be honest cigarrettes are pretty tasty! Wait I was talking about technology, I meant to say electric vapor cigarrettes are pretty tasty.

When it comes to your children teach them what you think is good and bad, but don't worry about other people's kids, leave that up to the religious right.

In my classroom I am not going to have any technology. I am going to make every student handwrite everything and I don't want to use a smart board. Why? That way I will not have to grade any papers the entire year because kids these days don't know how to communicate other than via text message.

No comments:

Post a Comment