Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Remember that kid from one of the articles we had to read who hated reading in English class, it was most likely because he had to read this book.



There was a moment last night, when she was sandwiched between the two Finnish dwarves and the Maori tribesmen, where I thought, "Wow, I could really spend the rest of my life with this woman".

Most of you probably don't remember Julio. He was that seventh grader that was followed around by researchers to understand what video games had to do with reading. He would choose to read a book about video games that was way above his tested reading level but would never even finish the book assigned for him to read in his lit class.

I wonder why he couldn't read the books in his lit class?

Maybe his teacher was assigning him books like Charles and Emma. The teacher probably was thinking, "I know the kids hate reading the book that Darwin wrote, but I bet they will love this one. It incorporates about ten whole pages worth of information actually pertaining to science while the rest is like watching a BBC Brit com on mute. The children will love it! Ooooo my little lovelies!"

That last part was the teacher referring to her class of seventh grade hoodlums.

The point is that Charles and Emma is exactly the type of book that a seventh grade boy would look back on and associate it with the exact moment he stopped reading.

I'll be honest I probably won't finish it. I'm about half way through it and it is terribly boring, nothing has happened yet except that ol' Chuck got married and had some kids and organized his specimens.


Add to the boring plot the fact that the voice in my head that says aloud the words as I read them sounds like Renee Zellweger which just sucks.

Now I am going to try to go and finish the book because now that the pressure is off it may actually be enjoyable and because I keep hearing Renee say, "You had me at hello."



Steinkuehler, C. (2010). Digital literacies: Video games and digital literacies. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 54(1), 61-63.

No comments:

Post a Comment